A well near Islington that was once much famed for several extraordinary cures performed thereby, and was therefore considered sacred and called Holy-Well. The priests belonging to the Priory of Clerkenwell using to attend there, made the people believe that the virtues of the waters proceeded from the efficacy of their prayers. Upon the Reformation the well was filled up.
- Hazlitt, W. Carew. (1905). Faith and Folklore. 2 vols. London: Reeves and Turner, p. 2:530.