A surname of Cybele, which she derived either from Mount Berecynthus, or from a fortified place of that name in Phrygia, where she was particularly worshiped. Mount Berecynthus again derived its name from Berecynthus, a priest of Cybele.
- Callimachus. Hymn to Artemis, 246.
- Pseudo-Plutarch. On Rivers, 10.
- Servius on Virgil's Aeneid ix, 82; vi, 785.
- Smith, William. (1870). Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology. London: Taylor, Walton, and Maberly.
- Strabo. Geography x, 472.
This article incorporates text from Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology (1870) by William Smith, which is in the public domain.