A huntress, the daughter of Hypseus or Peneus by Chlidanope. She was loved by Apollo who carried her from Mount Pelion to Libya, where Cyrenaica (Cyrene) derived its name from her. By him she is the mother of Aristaeus and Idmon.
According to Hyginus,1 she was the daughter of Peneus, Hypseus' father.
- Apollonius Rhodius. Argonautica i, 500 ff.
- Diodorus Siculus, iv, 81.
- Hyginus. Fabulae, 161.
- Pindar. Pythian Odes ix, 5. ff.
- Servius on Virgil's Aeneid iv, 42, 317.
- Smith, William. (1870). Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology. London: Taylor, Walton, and Maberly.