That is, Fear or Terror, was, together with Pallor, or Paleness, a companion of Mars among the Romans. The worship of Pavor and Pallor was believed to have been instituted by Tullus Hostilius during a plague, or at a critical moment in a battle. Their worship was attended to by Salii, called Pallorii and Pavorii.
- Augustine. City of God iv, 15, 23.
- C. Valerius Flaccus. Argonautica iii, 89.
- Claudian. Against Rufinus i, 344.
- Livy. The History of Rome i, 27.
- Smith, William. (1870). Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology. London: Taylor, Walton, and Maberly.
- Statius. Thebaid iii, 425.
This article incorporates text from Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology (1870) by William Smith, which is in the public domain.