A river in Malis (Thessaly) and its god. He is a son of Oceanus and Tethys. His daughters are the Spercheides, by Deino, and he is the father of Menesthius by Polydora, the fair daughter of Peleus. Peleus vows that on the safe return of Achilles from Troy he will cut off the young man's hair as a gift for the Spercheus.
- Herodotus. Histories vii, 198.
- Homer. Iliad xvi, 174; xxiii, 142.
- Pausanias. Description of Greece i, 37.3.
- Pseudo-Apollodorus. The Library iii, 14.4.
- Smith, William. (1870). Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology. London: Taylor, Walton, and Maberly.