One of the two props that were placed under Rangi, with which he was shoved upwards, thus separating Sky from Earth. The other prop was called Toko-huru-rangi. When they became separated, Papa uttered her farewell to Rangi:
- "Haera ra, e Rangi, ē! ko te wehenga taua i a Rangi."
- "Go, O Rangi, alas! for my separation from Rangi."
And Rangi answered from above:
- "Heikona ra, e Papa, ē! ko te wehenga taua i a Papa."
- "Remain there, O Papa, alas! for my separation from Papa.
- Shortland, Edward. (1882). Maori Religion and Mythology. London: Longmans Green, p. 20.