A fish tipua. The tradition is that Pururau was first seen near Whangaparaoa, in the Bay of Plenty, and was easily recognized by the fact that a small tree grew from the back of its head, part of which was always above water. It was followed by a man and woman — Tanepatua and Mamoe — who for some reason had devoted themselves to its capture, and carried with them a net of great mana and sacredness. They followed their prey for months, but were unable to effect its capture until they reached Waingongoro, on the west coast of the North Island, where they were at last successful.
- Gudgeon, W. E. (1906). "Tipua Kura... Spirit World." Journal of the Polynesian Society 15:27-58.