The ten divisions of the Māori underworld (downward toward darkness) are:
- The place of grass and trees, where Tāne-mahuta reigns;
- The realm of Rongo-ma-tāne and Haumia-tikitiki;
- Te Reinga, governed by Hine-nui-te-pō;
- Autōia, the dwelling of Whiro;
- Uranga-o-te-Rā, where lives Rohe, the wife of Māui, who kills all the spirits she can;
- The home of Miru;
- Meto, or Ameto (extinction).
The first four are ruled over by Hine-nui-te-pō; realms five to seven are ruled by Rohe; and the last three by Meru. See also Māori heaven.
- Tregear, Edward. (1891). Maori-Polynesian Comparative Dictionary. Wellington: Government Printer, p. 168.